The National Women’s Month Celebration in 2023 represents a turning point in women’s rights advancement as it introduces a new repeating theme from 2023 to 2028: “WE for gender equality and inclusive society “.
The SCWD National Women’s Month Campaign 2023 conducted various activities in accordance with the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW).
SCWD Women’s Month Program Objectives
- To encourage the adoption of gender-responsive programs, services, and initiatives by the government that will enable women to contribute to the development of the country or nation.
- To provide platforms to share good practices and address gaps, challenges, and commitments in pursuing gender and development (GAD) – to further strengthen the implementation of the Magna Carta of Women toward its milestone 15th year in 2024;
- To inspire women and girls to empower themselves and take on leadership roles, opportunities, and benefits toward maximizing their full potential and enabling them to reap the fruits of gender equality;
- To promote a society that ensures inclusion, protection of fundamental freedoms, diversity, and social justice and in which every individual, each with rights and responsibilities, is capacitated and encouraged to take an active role to play.
Activities Implemented During the Women’s Month Celebration
in accordance with the PCW
- Share about NWMC in Flag Raising Ceremonies – Upon the entry of March, the SCWD utilized the Lupang Hiniring Video with an all-women cast.
- NWMC Banner of support – Support the National Women’s Month Celebration by displaying the campaign banner (Fig.1) in front of offices and uploading it on the official website and social media.
- #PurpleWednesdays and #PurpleYourIcon – Make the SCWD support visible! SCWD wore anything purple on all the Wednesdays of March to signify support for women’s empowerment and gender equality.
- GAD Forum – SCWD GAD Committee conducted organized virtual or hybrid activities to discuss gender issues to help resolve or minimize, given their mandates, and assess internal gender concerns that need attention. The activity was conducted online to utilize the online meeting platforms to encourage technology, innovation, and ICT to evaluate the implementation of gender-responsive programs, activities, and projects. The forum attendees also used the background suggested by the PCW for online meetings.
- Musika ng Kababaihan Wednesdays (#MNKWednesdays) SCWD shall share the advocacy through music! The songs from the MusikJuana Songwriting Contest 2021 and other PCW advocacy songs are played on the office premises.
- Participation in the NWMC DigitALL Forum and online advocacy – SCWD supported the campaign online by posting about it and sharing posts from PCW’s official social media accounts. SCWD also used the NWMC Advocacy Profile Photo and other online materials under the hashtag #WEcanbeEquALL.
- #SerbisyoParaKayJuana 2023 – As a special way to honor women in their month, the SCWD campaign walked and gave freebies, and meals on International Women’s Day (March 8) and/or other dates in March as a form of appreciation for women’s various contribution in the society.